Are you a landholder accepting fill on your property?
Did you know fines for individuals accepting contaminated fill can be as much as $7,500? Don’t risk hefty fines and clean-up costs!
Before accepting fill on your land, check with your council to find out if filling of land is permitted and what approvals are required.
What you can do:
- Check if filling is permitted and what council approvals are required
- Check the credentials of anyone who offers you free or cheap fill
- Never accept fill from unknown sources
- Ask the supplier to prove that the fill isn’t contaminated by providing certificates for virgin excavated natural material (VENM)
- Supervise and inspect all loads of incoming fill
- Record details of all transporters bringing fill onto your property
- Keep copies of all documents
If you suspect someone is supplying or receiving contaminated fill, report the details to your local Council or report on-line. Details can be found on the EPA site.